Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25th. Due Date.

Today, May 25th, should have been their "due date" last year. Instead they were born March 21st, minutes before midnight. I have no good memories of their birth. The entire experience was terrifying, heartbreaking and nightmarish haze. The 6 weeks they spent in the NICU was a rollercoaster of emotions. It still feels like a bad dream. But we all survived.
As I watch my little daredevil monkeys climbing the sofa and tottering about the living room it's almost impossible to imagine that these were my tiny, fragile preemies, born too soon, weighing only 2 1/2 lbs each.




So when I catch Emily climbing a 4 ft tall dresser.....







Or Zoey munching on a box of crackers her daddy left out...









It makes me smile.

And while I'll always be a little jealous of the mamas who had healthy newborns and left the hospital with their babies, I know my journey has taught me a lot about being grateful and enjoying every precious second with my girls.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I remember those early pics of the girls. It is so amazing how far they've come. :)

    ReplyDelete